The Hotel Management School Maastricht (HMSM), a subsidiary of Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, is internationally viewed as one of the leading institutes in its field.
It offers a four-year Bachelor of Arts programme in both Dutch and English and a Master of Science in Facility & Real Estate Management which is organized in collaboration with international partners. A new Master “Leading in Hospitality Innovation” is currently being developed.
Because of an increasing number of students we would like to strengthen our team with an enthusiastic
Lecturer research skills
We are looking for an experienced, internationally oriented candidate who endorses the importance of good education and is driven to take ownership of the position as higher education lecturer. To students you are a source of inspiration and a role model; to colleagues you will act as a team player, bringing positive energy and contributing to the education of the future generation of hospitality managers.
One of the characteristics of HMSM is our strong community: our students not only study on our campus, they also live there during the first year of their studies and gain practical experience in the Teaching Hotel Chateau Bethlehem.
A characteristic of our colleagues is that they also feel part of the HMSM community and stand for small-scale and intensive education. In addition to the passion for and knowledge of the own discipline, each lecturer contributes to the promotion of hospitality, both to students and colleagues.
As a new colleague, you will be included in this community and contribute to it. Maastricht is therefore also the location for your work as a lecturer.
Our new colleague has knowledge in the field of quantitative and qualitative research
View on the program
From year 1 on we stimulate an attitude of ‘research oriented learning’ and focus on the development of the students’ research skills. In the first 2.5 years the program is oriented towards quantitative as well as qualitative research methods. Students work on themes such as: how to do desk research, how to formulate good research questions, interviewing, how to make a survey, how to use SPSS and Excel. Besides a theoretical approach, much attention is paid to the practical application of this knowledge in various areas of hospitality management.
What are your tasks?
- Provide classes in the aforementioned field of expertise
- Coach students in their study progress and in community building
- Supervise and visit interns, possibly abroad
- Supervise and coach students in project groups and in applied research projects
- Contribute to the further development of the educational program in the field of expertise as well as to the digitization of the program
What do we expect?
- a Master’s degree
- excellent teaching and coaching skills for bachelor learning and be familiar with current educational methods and techniques (blended learning)
- a recognised teaching certificate or willingness to attain one
- preferably an international background and be competent in both Dutch and English in order to teach at the level of a (near) native speaker
- preferably a sound understanding of / experience in the hospitality industry
- a team player, able to inspire both students and colleagues.
What we offer:
We welcome you in our institute which offers a challenging and innovative environment with great opportunities for you to explore.
- An appointment for 0.6 – 1.0 FTE (to be negotiated) for the term of one year.
- Should the candidate prove suitable and perform favourably, then the contract may be extended, provided operating circumstances remain unchanged.
- The salary scale awarded depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and shall be set in accordance with the collective labour agreement (CAO) in the higher vocational education sector, within the career prospects of scale 11.
- The terms of employment applicable include both 8% holiday pay and a fixed bonus equivalent to one month’s salary.
- Our fringe terms benefits comprise excellent opportunities to further one’s professional career.
Are you interested?
Further information is available either on our website: www.hotelschoolmaastricht.nl or from Mrs Marja Windhorst (until July 14th), education manager HMSM firstname.lastname@example.org tel. +31 (0)651196675.
Interested candidates should apply for the position before August 15th by entering their personal details, accompanied by a letter of application and CV on the website www.werkenbijzuyd.nl.
Hotel Management School Maastricht
The bachelor course is aimed at prospective managers/entrepreneurs in the international hospitality industry, comprises a foundation programme of 2.5 years and a specialisation programme of 1.5 years offering three tracks: Hotel Management, Food Service and
Horizons in Hospitality.
The next step in hospitality
The focus of the HMSM is ‘The next step in hospitality’. The program challenges students to carry out this innovation in hospitality. Core values include individual responsibility and personal attention. Besides that, we strongly believe in passion, professionalism, initiative, openness and inspiration. Innovative entrepreneurship is one of the focus points of the education and research programme. The other focus points are ‘connecting gastronomy’ and the development of a ‘global mind set’. Furthermore, the ambition for the coming years is to significantly increase HMSM’s international profile.